Life is Good.

Life is Good.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Perfect Fall Day

Today was a busy, busy day but couldn't have been more perfect. It started with Austin's first Junior Jazz game of the season (or ever, for that matter). Bill is once again coaching. He has coached Alex and Ben's team the last few years and now this year Austin is old enough to play. It is really entertaining watching 2nd and 3rd graders learn the sport of basketball. The rims are lowered to accommodate their small size and allowances are made at times for double dribbling and traveling while the boys master the new skills. It will be a fun season.












Next, we made a mad dash to Erin's preschool Halloween concert. It was at an old historic farm around the corner that apparently was the shooting location for many tv shows and movies, including Halloween. Yes, THE Halloween movie. I think my source was fairly reliable, as she has lived here for over 80 years. The program was very fun and the kids loved exploring the somewhat spooky premises. We then went home to watch the BYU/UNLV football game. It was an uncomfortably close game that made me question the strength and effectiveness of our defense. Luckily we squeaked by with the win.

Then we were off to Alex's flag football game. Now that he is twelve he can participate in the YM flag football games. Today they played in the region semifinal and final game. They ended up taking second but played awesome. He is definately smaller than the older boys who are as old as 17 and 18, but he had some great plays that included sacking the quarterback for a huge loss. The young men in our ward are really great

guys. The have done a nice job including the younger boys like Alex.

At the same time and place as the football game, we had a ward harvest/Halloween party. It was the best party in years, I think. It was outdoors with games, food, and dancing. The weather couldn't have been any better. About 72 degrees well into the evening. The kids wore their costumes as well as a few adults. That's Austin in the werewolf costume sitting next to Erin in the top picture, in case you were wondering.

The dominant theme for this year's costumes was Star Wars. It's amazing how that movie has lasted the test of time (or really good marketing, I guess).





It's days like this that makes me realize how much I love living here. Good friends and neighbors, football, and beautiful Utah seasons makes me feel pretty lucky.














7 comments:

Malerie said...

You ARE lucky. We are really missing the Utah seasons and the feeling of the holidays. Very cute pictures!

loveourboys said...

Fun stuff! Your kids look great in their costumes. I'm glad to see Bill coaching-Blake loved being on their team two years ago, it was alot of fun, and Bill was a great coach! I to love fall-it's a great time and halloween is so much fun too! Stace

shelly said...

What a busy Saturday! You are so great to take so many pictures! I love the one of Erin and Austin. I saw him at the party but he wasn't wearing the mask, now it makes sense--what a great costume!
I agree STAR WARS was the dominant theme, what a strange phenomenon that movie is. I think George Lucas is a marketing genius.

Nicolds6 said...

Looks like a real blast!! I totally love days like that. They are so unbearably busy and have me scattered hither and yon, but I wouldn't trade it for a thing!!

Nelson Fam said...

What a fun filled day for your family. The party was a lot of fun. Thanks for taking pictures of all the happenings of the event. Next year, you and Bill need to join us on the dance floor!! That way, we will see who Austin gets his dancing abilities from. :)

Shawn

Williams Ski Team said...

Who's under the werewolf mask...Creepy! I am glad you guys had fun. I miss the ward parties!

Amy Nielson said...

I can't believe you had that busy of a day and still had time to come home and blog about it! You are my hero, Shell.

I am so in love with Fall this year, too. Everyday I drive down the road and just can't believe all the ridiculously bright colors and the crisp air! We are getting pretty lucky this year with minimal rain and Fall is officially becoming my favorite season!