Life is Good.

Life is Good.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Our New "Pet"



The other night at bedtime Ben was complaining about hearing scratching noices. After a couple of "Ben, it's nothing, just go to bed!" I decided maybe I should check it out. After a little investigation, I found a little mouse outside his window that had fallen into the window well (He and Austin sleep in the basement). Because Bill had already gone to bed and I didn't want to deal with it, we decided to leave him and Ben went upstairs to sleep in Alex's room. Austin was already asleep and can sleep through anything!
Sure enough, the next morning the little guy was still there. The kids had a fun time dropping cheese into the window well and watching him walk up to the window. I still was not going to try to catch him and so we leaned a board into the window well to help him climb out. Apparenly he wasn't the smartest mouse and was still there when Bill got home that evening. No one would allow Bill to kill it and so he caught him in a bucket and Austin realeased him in a nearby field. They were sad to see him go but Ben did sleep better that night!

4 comments:

Jill Hess said...

I think that was a good call not waking up the monster, I mean Bill, to catch it that night (smile). Hopefully it doesn't become a neighborhood pet:-). I would rather find a snake in my window well than a mouse!!!

Amy Nielson said...

That's funny Shell... He was super cute! Good picture :)

Unknown said...

It sounds like the kids did not give him a name -- makes it not so personal that way... He is cute - your photo is really good! Good to set him free -

Elder Huff said...

What a cute story - fun little adventure!!

Kids are so sensitive to all animals and I think that is so fun! Greg is always saying when the boys are worried about an animal or something - "You guys will never be vets, then" And I am like.. well, at least not when they are 4-8 years old! haha! They have such sweet hearts for every living thing!! Thanks for sharing your fun story :)