Life is Good.

Life is Good.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Happy 94th Birthday Grandma

I wanted to give a little tribute to my Grandma, Erma Irene Bates, on her 94th birthday today. She is an amazing woman. Although she has been blind for years and suffered numerous health problems, she continues to have a positive attitude and always serves those around her.

I have so many memories of driving to Spokane with my family and visiting with her and Grandpa. For years Grandpa ran a dairy and so ice-cream, cottage cheese, and cream with raspberries from their garden were always served in her cozy kitchen. This kitchen is magical because Grandma collects colored glass items that she puts in her big window. She would come wake us early in the morning as the sun came up and shone through the glass so we could come see the "rainbows". We would always work on projects, usually working with pressed flowers from her flower gardens. I think what Grandma is most proud of is all the thousands of handmade bookmarks made out of her pressed flowers that she has sent around the world with missionaries that said "I am a Child of God". Even when her eyes failed her she would continue to work on these bookmarks by touch knowing that someone somewhere would receive them and would perhaps feel a little more loved because of it. I am not sure if she still works on them now but I am sure she continues to work on some kind of project as Grandma is not one to just sit around.

Also, I have mention how amazing my Grandpa is too. The last time I went up to visit them a couple of years ago, he was walking a mile or two every day and checking in on the welfare of his "elderly" neighbors (who happened to be younger than him!). He takes care of Grandma with so much love. These pictures kind of say it all.

So, I just wanted to say how much I love my Grandma and Grandpa and Happy Birthday Grandma - you're amazing!

3 comments:

Williams Ski Team said...

WOW, 94! Your Grandma looks like a really great lady!

Amy Nielson said...

Shelley, your tribute made me all teary eyed! Grandma and Grandpa have been such amazing grandparents and I have such wonderful memories of visiting their cozy home! They're always guaranteed to have chocolate milk and oreos too, my personal favorite :)

Anonymous said...

When I was really young, I remember Erma was the first woman I'd ever met that did crafts.