Life is Good.

Life is Good.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Echo Triathlon

Me at the finish! (You can see how excited these people were as I came in.)
Tiff and I


Below is a picture of the swim. It's hard to tell but those little dots are swimmers. You have to swim out around the buoys .
On Saturday I participated in a triathlon at the beautiful Echo Reservoir near Coalville. I think about 800 people participated. For those not familiar to triathlon, there are four major distances: sprint, olympic, half-Ironman, and Ironman. I have not and probably will never try an ironman because you have to enjoy all the training. This intails being on your bike for 3 to 5 hours at a time, and running for hours, which I wouldn't enjoy week after week. The only part of an Ironman that seems do-able to me is the swim. Anyway, the Ironman distance is 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run. The half-Iron is, of course, half the Ironman distance. The olympic distance is a 1 mile swim, 24 mile bike, and 6.2 mile run. The sprint distance is half the olympic distance.
I did the sprint distance on Saturday and let me just tell you how fun it is! You don't have to train a lot for this distance and then you feel so good when you are done. I just have never done well in an olympic distance because I don't know how to fuel properly. I never want to eat anything and then pay for it halfway through the race when I have completely lost all my energy. It might be fun if I could just figure that part out. I did this race with a good friend of mine, Tiffany. Also, another friend happened to be there cheering on her dad and she was able to take these pictures of me and the race - thanks, Lisa!
Triathlons are addicting. After a race you want to sign up for the next one because you just know you could go a little faster the next time.

5 comments:

Jill Hess said...

Amazing Shelley! I am glad you posted pictures, I have only heard stories!!

Anonymous said...

Great job Shelley! You look amazing and happy. There were people at work that would do Ironman and all those other kinds, and I didn't get it. Sometimes, I still don't get it. It IS TOO long on a bike.

There are people who do endurance rides on horses for 25, 50 and 100 miles (the 100 mile one is an Olympic event).

I wish writing would give me a physical work out like that. I'll stick with riding. Best, Marilyn

Amy Nielson said...

Great pictures... it's too bad I wasn't there to put in a little more enthusiasm at the finish line!! Those people look a little less than encouraging!!

Congrats and let us know when you're doing another :)

Shawn said...

You rock Shelley! I would love to do a triathalon some day. Maybe you could give me some good advice!!

Williams Ski Team said...

You go girl! You look so happy running...you almost make it look like it is a piece of cake. :) JK