Life is Good.

Life is Good.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Night Fright

When I was a kid I was terrified at night. I remember I would get so scared I couldn't even cross the hall to my parents room. Luckily I outgrew that (well, unless Bill's out of town, lol) but I unfortunately passed it on to my kids. All of my kids (except Erin - I think she's still too young) have gone through a phase of waking up, being scared, and coming into our room and waking us up - almost every night.

I have a theory: I think it is the result of a very active imagination. I remember thinking there was a little man in a trench coat sliding across the floor of my room, dragging his feet on the carpet. Well, it was really my sister breathing deeply, making a sound that could very easily be confused with dragging feet on the carpet. It really creeped me out.

All of my boys are very creative and have amazing imaginations. Hence, the waking up at night. One night when Ben was little he was really afraid of Bigfoot. I tried using logic. I said, "Ben, do you really think Bigfoot is going to come here to Layton, stroll down the street, and come knocking at our door?" He then looked at me and said, "Mom, now I'm REALLY scared!"

So, if your kids are keeping you up at night, just have a little patience. I'm thinking you have very creative children, I know I do.

3 comments:

Myers Family said...

I am still scared to be alone. Just a few years back Darin and I went to see Sixth Sense. For a week after seeing the movie I would make Darin stay awake until I fell asleep. I am a huge chicken and unfortunately have passed it on to ALL my children. Along with some other bad traits. It doesn't bother me to much having the kids come into our room when there scared because they go and wake up Darin instead of me.

Malerie said...

I was hoping once you get your babies to sleep through the night it was all good from there I guess a full night's sleep never really returns until your kids are out of the house? but maybe then you can't sleep through the night for other reasons!

Amy Nielson said...

This made me laugh so hard! You would think that reasoning with Ben using logic would work, right? I mean really... Bigfoot picking your house, knocking on your door, and sneaking into Ben's room...?? What are the chances!? Ahhh, kids are silly. "OK now I'm really scared!" That's funny.