Life is Good.

Life is Good.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Rise Above This

I have decided (with the challenge from my friend Dustin) to try to run a marathon this coming spring. Not only try to run one, but qualify for the Boston Marathon. Am I crazy???? I ran my first half marathon last spring and I loved it. The problem is, I was exhausted at the end and to qualify for Boston I will have to run thirty seconds faster per mile and then go twice as far.

The key will be the training. I have a friend who is an AMAZING athlete and she decided she would try a marathon this fall and started training. She started running longer distances and then decided she hated running those long distances. It really wasn't a question as to whether she could accomplish it but whether she wanted to accomplish it. That is really what has kept me from doing one before. I know I could do one, I just haven't wanted to.

So, now I want to (I think). This morning I went for a run and I was wondering if I could really qualify for Boston. Then the song "Rise Above This" by Seether came on my iPod. There is a line in the chorus that says, "I've fallen down, but I'll rise above this doubt". The importance of positive thinking really struck me at that point. We all have things we want to do and sometimes we just need to rise above the doubt we hear in our minds. I think if we believe we can do it, then our mind will find a way.

I still have doubt. But maybe I can find a way to rise above it.

9 comments:

Jessie said...

Hey, Shelley! It's Jessie Pond. I found your blog while blog hopping. I just wanted to say that you are an amazing athlete, and I'm sure you could do it (I still remember your enrichment message with your old tennies). I just ran a 1/2 marathon with my family (very slowly) for my dad's 60th birthday, and I am NOT a runner. I did realize though that running seems to be about 80% mental and 20% physical. So I'm sure you can "rise above this". Good luck!

Amy Nielson said...

Shelley you can totally do it! If you want to. If you get through your training and you decide you don't want to, there's no harm done, right!? I've been running a lot lately for a 5k next month but I've been running with another girl and it makes such a huge difference when you have someone to train with... we're going to run a 10k in March, and I might be trying a half in April, but it's that same thing with me... not so sure I WANT to yet. But there's no harm done in trying!

Malerie said...

How awesome! Cassi has been running a lot, too. She and my dad are doing a half marathon today in Chelan. I think you guys are crazy, but inspiring! :) Good luck with the training.

lawsongirls said...

Shelley,
If anybody can do it, YOU can! Especially if you enjoy running. It is totally mental. I'm sure Dustin can give you some good tips. Good Luck.

Shawn said...

You'll have to let me know how it goes, because you will never see me doing it! I do not have the determination or dedication to do something like that. You are an inspiration to me and I hope you reach your goal!!

Jill Hess said...

Do it! I will do it with you! :-)

Williams Ski Team said...

You go Shelley! I loved your message...everyone needs a little inspiration. Your message hit home!

Myers Family said...

Shelley I remember back when you were thinking of doing your first triathalon. How many triathalons have you done now? You totally could do a marathon! I think it's great that Jill said she would do it with you. I would hold her to it. I will cheer for you both on the sidelines. You Go Girl!

Jill Hess said...

Um Angie, my comment was laced with a lot of sarcasm!! You know me and my love affair with running!!!!!!!