Life is Good.

Life is Good.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Carl Bloch - BYU Museum of Art

A couple days ago, my mom called and said she and my dad were going to go down to the BYU Museum of Art to see the Carl Bloch art exhibit and wondered if I would like to go. I had about a hundred reasons why I shouldn't. I had mounds of laundry to fold, a PTA newsletter and yearbook to work on, and we were low on groceries.

But, something told me I needed to go.


It was amazing and inspiring.

Carl Bloch was a nineteenth century Danish artist that is recognized by many as the greatest artist ever to interpret the life and death of Christ. He considered his religious paintings to be the most significant accomplishments of his career. I learned that it was Bloch's tender and sensitive soul that enabled him to portray the life of the Savior so beautifully. The exhibit includes five altar paintings, 11 etchings and 21 other works from around Denmark and Sweden. You can find out more about the exhibit here: Also, I found this video very interesting. It is well worth watching.
I am not very knowledgable about artwork and painting like my mom, but, I could tell I was in the presence of masterpieces. Some of the artwork is very large, enabling you to really appreciate and feel the pieces. I was moved by every one. One of my favorites was this:
It is titled: The Daughter of Jarius. Here, the mother sits by her daughter's lifeless body, despairing - a tear running down her cheek. Christ has arrived at the doorway as the sun is rising behind him as a foreshadowing the miraculous miracle that is about to occur.

The Doubting Thomas.
Here, Bloch captures the moment after Thomas has touched the resurrected Christ and his overwhelming realization of who he really is.
Christ and the Young Child
I remember the beautiful eyes of the child and the Savior in this piece.
Christ The Consoler
This piece depicts how all may come unto Christ. Bloch used his own family in this painting.
Christ Healing the Sick at Bethesda
This painting is actually owned by the BYU Art Museum. It is considered their greatest piece. It is truly breathtaking. Here one feels drawn into the painting as the man in the red scarf makes eye contact with the observer. Also, I couldn't help but notice that so many in the picture are too busy to see the Savior. I am so grateful I took the time to see this beautiful and sacred exhibit. I plan on taking my family down to see it and anyone else who wants to go.

It is at BYU until May and then the art pieces find their way back home to churches all over Denmark and Sweden.

4 comments:

Elder Huff said...

Love your post, Shelley. I am so glad you were able to find time to go - it was so inspiring and touching to me too. I love your thoughts about each painting, I never thought I would find tears in my eyes and feel the things I felt by just looking at his paintings. It was truly an amazing experience and you described it so well. I am going to take Greg and the boys back to see it as well, I don't want them to miss out on such a rare opportunity. love you!

Unknown said...

Beautifully recorded, Shelley! Paul's music sets a wonderful tone also. I am so glad we went - even if it was the worst possible weather-wise day this week! 'Opposition is evidence that truth is at work.' Very nice post!

Amy Nielson said...

wow, looks like it was an amazing exhibit & experience! glad you listened to you gut feeling & found time to go :)

love ya!

Jill Hess said...

That is so neat! I think that will have to be Paul and my next date night! Thanks for sharing!